6/1/10

Kiri Davis: A Girl Like Me

It's astonishing how intuitive and wise these young girls are, and to see how ones so young read into the plight of African American women and African Americans in general is quite enlightnening. The results of the recreation of the famous doll experiment done by Dr. Kenneth Clark in the 1940s makes me look upon my peers in a different light. I have often found myself guilty of "looking down" on a lot of African American women and men my age for so willfully playing into so many of the stereotypes that have been laid before us. For being that ignorant, loud-mouthed girl on the bus. And while ignorance must never be excused or made tolerant, I look at this experiment and wonder, when you are taught from such a young age that what you are and your skin color is simply "bad", how are we expected to move past that?

No comments:

Post a Comment