12/1/12

The Universal Arts of Graphic Design


(via PBS Off Book)

"Good graphic design makes people's lives better."

Just recently I stumbled across a web series from PBS called "Off Book". It pretty much focuses on all aspects of art and media culture. Now, I've always had a soft spot for PBS and WHYY (ever since my young days of watching shows like Arthur and Reading Rainbow); so, naturally, my interest was piqued.

The latest episode, entitled "The Universal Arts of Graphic Design", is roughly 6.5 minutes of several people involved intimately in the world of graphic design explaining how important it is to, pretty much, all parts of life. Of course I know what graphic design is, and I know some people who do it, but I must confess that I have never thought of it in such a way as explored in this video. Simple, yet poignant. "Graphic design is about using words and images to convey a message." The message can't always be "spelled out" for you. It's about getting a person, customer, consumer to think or feel a certain way based on what has physically been presented to them. Graphic designers need to know that specific colors on specific packaging can prompt more women to purchase an item than men. We utilize graphic design in every single branch of our lives. And I don't think we realize how large a part it plays in some of our most commonplace, habitual activities.

Not sure what the hell I'm talking about? Watch the vid. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment